Friday, February 9

My breast friends

Can someone help me? I've got myself into a bit of a pickle……

I'm too scared to wear deodorant.

In fact, I'm so scared of deodorant, I haven't worn it for about two years.

It all started about two years back………..

I read an article in a silly woman's magazine that described the links between deodorant and breast cancer. Deodorants and anti-perspirants have aluminium. The aluminium is what actually stops perspiration. The mineral sits IN your hair follicles/pores and clogs them so that perspiration (no sweat you note - ugly word) can't get out. The thing is of course, you have not only glands under your arm, but direct veins etc to your breast. It is a fact that most women get breast cancer first in their left breast. Why? Because most people are right handed and so we all tend to put more deodorant on under our left arm. More deodorant means more aluminium which means more carcinogens into the armpit/breast area.

I spoke to one of my health-freak friends who stated she had know this fact for years and herself had stopped wearing deodorant aeons before. It's a problem because, like most people, I do need to wear it. I've not got some hideous odour problem you understand but, like most, I don't perspire rose water and deodorant/antiperspirant masks this fact.

Since the day I read the article, I haven't worn deodorant since, not in usual Nivea/Impulse type anyway. One of the few body parts I'm actually content with are my generous assets. If one disappeared, I swear I would have problems walking in a straight line. I just can't risk that kind of subsidence.

I've tried several organic, aluminium-free versions which are about as capable for their intended purpose as blue-biro rubbers are.

Summer is fast approaching - do I risk social ostracism or my left boob?

3 comments:

CJM said...

Oh my god...panic has gripped me. To have BO or to die of Breast Cancer...it is a tough call, but living in a country where the temperature is commonly over 25 degrees and being more than certain that people who use 'crystals' instead of 'sure' surely STINK, I'm gonna take my chances.

Anonymous said...

According to Cancer Research there is no evidence to support this claim,

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=3943

Yet in 2000, there were 42,800 cancer deaths in the UK attributable to smoking: approximately a third of all cancer deaths. (http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact04.html)

I would propose you swap the deodorant for fags and 'give up one thing' as the current boots campaign suggests - that way you'll smell lovely as you won't smell of fags or BO and you'll still be minimising your risks of cancer.

By the way - I have always been envious of your ample bosom!

Natalie said...

Touche Caroline.