Wednesday, July 4

Ellipsis....as promised

So….. I said I'd discuss my use of the ellipsis, didn't I?


Hmmm. Hardly a topic that sparks a natural array of issues to consider. I can see I am beginning to regret my rash suggestion already.I did state that awarding unwarranted attention to issues is part of this blog's mandate, didn't I? Shame. Anyway, lets see where it takes us.


Well, I suppose I will start with the obvious… let us settle, firstly, what would be the plural of this quaint little word…. makes sense.


Ellipsises, ellipsi, ellipsum?


If in doubt (which I am) refer to the noble www.dictionary.com; fantastic web resource which I recommend heartily….a wikipedia for language.


"Ellipses", apparently.


Makes sense. Doesn't accord with basic grammar rules for formation of plurals though, which would dictate the simple addition of an -es to the noun thus creating 'Ellipsises'. Who ever said grammar was meant to be inflexible however?


Secondly… is my use of the ellipsis indeed appropriate?


Consultation with Oracle again.


Usage: Printing marks to indicate an omission or suppression of letters or words.


Christ. believe me, I would much rather be discussing Derren Brown at this point who is currently backgrounding in my living room. However, I committed therefore I must. I'm sure you'd probably be reading about that too though. Let’s take a break…..


Robbie Williams is today's guest appearance. About to be made a pin cushion if the intro man is to be believed.


Now hanging Jesus-like on the top of a scaffold (why here I don't know, dramatic tension?)


Robbie…..have never seen the huge attraction myself. I must be out of sync with his TV-projected pheromones I guess. From what I can gather it's the 'bad boy' element combined with the 'little boy lost' aura he exudes that forms the basis of his attraction. Appeals to the nurturing element in women I suppose… and the secret romantic vanity that women all wish to realise that their affections and love can save a storm-tossed man from drowning. The saviour complex.


Or maybe that's just me?


Damn you Charlotte Bronte. Damn you and your beautifully drawn Jane and Mr Rochester.


Intermission over. Back to the serious consideration of the life and death issue that is the ellipsis.


I suspect my personal usage is more of a dramatic pause interrupting two connected ideas or statements then a suppression of words. I suspect actually that most current usage falls into this category. Evidence? None to hand and I can't be bothered finding it just to convince you I am right but I am right so just accept it and move on.


Lastly, do I overuse it?



You, readers, are the ultimate judge of that question and I invite your opinions on the idea. This in an opinion-sharing forum after all is said and done.Though I get the last word. Remember that. Only I have full administration rights…...and so it should be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told Derren used to be called Darren. If this is true, is it a good name change?

Natalie said...

If I were called Darren I would change my name to Seb.

Both Derren and Darren are hideous names and he should take a leaf out of my book and have a complete overhaul to somethink more romantic and exotic.